Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Interview With Whohub Part 1

I was invited to do an interview with WhoHub.com. Here is the transcript from that interview... I hope it will help you learn a little more about me! Due to the amount of questions, I have broken it up into four segments. To view the complete interview go to: http://www.whohub.com/mitchy1441


What is your specialty?
I am an Interior Designer, specializing in kitchen, bathroom and custom furniture design. I believe it is important to list those specialties because it gives me an added edge when working with my clients. Most designers have no experience nor knowledge of wood materials, cabinetry and the intricacies of furniture mechanics.

Where can we view your portfolio online?
You can see samples of my work and learn of my experiences, good, witty and indifferent at my Interior Design Blog http://www.interiordesign2you.blogspot.com or view a large collection of my work and learn about my wonderful company Custom Interiors LLC at http://www.mycustominteriors.com

What made you interested in design?
When I was 11 I had a powder pink room with white based wallpaper that had a floral linear pattern and a matching border. It was not the best design so I began doodling on my walls creating alternate borders around my window and voila- a designer was born. I was punished a lot when I was younger, so I began sketching furniture for my imaginary designer home. Now I get paid to design the homes of others. I cannot dream of doing anything else. I can't go into a public restroom without redesigning it in my mind!
What has been your professional career path?
I went from school to interning and working for others. I've worked for a few mid to high end kitchen cabinet and plumbing centers, where I gained my expertise in kitchen and bathroom design and plumbing, lighting and cabinetry knowledge. I met the love of my life right after high school. Eventually him (a custom cabinetmaker and master finisher), and I doing Interior Design opened our own company on the east coast catering to high end clientele in NY, MA, CT, VT and RI. Now living on the west coast, we do the same for our clients in the Phoenix metro area and affluent outskirts. I am also working on designing some custom furniture pieces going into a great showroom in Tempe, AZ.

What is your motivation? What makes you get up in the mornings?
I am always striving for that larger home (above my largest of 15,000 sq. ft.), that chance to improve upon my current skill set and wow myself and my client. I am seeking that "AHA" moment where I have pushed the envelope by creating an extraordinary and unique space. I live for modern and contemporary design, but I also enjoy the excitement that comes from creating a completely different interior. I live off of truly educating my client so that I am making them understand our process, not just presenting them what I want for their space. My motivations are the referrals to that next client because I did so well for the last and that beautiful portfolio picture that I get to take when I am done with their home. I get excited when I can wake up to work on a whole home remodel or a unique custom piece of furniture to fit a space. Design is both my job and my reward!

How would you define your design style?
My preferred style would be ethnically inspired contemporary and a tinge of ultra modern. I have a very eclectic home. My husband is more transitional, loving both contemporary and traditional design. Although I say that the homes I do are all about my client, I often infuse one little piece of me in every design. I am happy to say that I never repeat an interior, right down to never using the same paint color. Each home is all their own. You can look through so many portfolios and see the same thing over and over from one client to another. That is not the case when I work. Each home is truly an individual thought all its own. My style is the spirit of my client interpretted through my paint brush.

How do you promote and move your work?
My clients over the last few years have been through word of mouth. Now that the market has slowed, I must admit my workload has decreased tremendously. I am working to establish new contacts through social networking and getting my name out to all who will listen. Our cabinet division has also begun using lead companies as a way to generate new prospects, but they are not the best R.O.I. We also get many who find our website through google searches.

No comments: