Friday, September 19, 2008

Broke My Damn Coffee Pot...


So, day two of this whole blogging thing. I never officially finished day one. I was right in the middle of finishing my blog about the great trends for 2009, when i realized, Hey- it's 11:00 PM, you might wanna get some sleep. Now normally, this wouldn't be a big deal because anyone that knows me- and now you too- know that I have sleep apnea. And the knowledge that I have sleep apnea causes me to go to sleep even later because I am aware that I constantly stop breathing at night and it's pretty annoying! I just decided I'd go to bed because I had been on the damn computer for about 6 hours working on this blog, answering client emails and designing a kitchen while making phone calls to reps and distributors. What a fun juggle!

So, anyway!!! I get woken up by my younger daughter, Aliyah, who's 14 to the sound of " Mom, I just woke up. I need a ride to school." What is it about the sound of that that makes me instantly want to go back to bed? I asked her to make me a cup of coffee- so I might actually want to get out of bed. I am at the point when I can actually drink my coffee, when I realize that she hasn't even made me a half a cup, and it smells kinda burnt. Yuck! What happened to the rest of the coffee that should've come out of the pot?

Now, I'm Puerto Rican and I drink Puerto Rican coffee (Cafe Bustelo) made in an italian espresso pot on the stove. It's the old fashion, traditional way to make it, but I love it that way. The problem with the pots is that the handle is made out of some black, easily meltable plastic. On a gas stove, you have to position your pot just right under the flame so as to not irritate the handle and allow it to slowly melt into a pile of goo that eventually falls onto your stove. So what happens? I now have a pile of goo on my stove top. She overcooked my coffee and melted the handle clean off my coffee pot! If only children could understand the cherished sanctity of enjoying that first cup of energy to start what could probably be a miserably stressed out day. If they only treasured the caretaking of a coffee pot like they do their ipod, I would not now have to add buying a new espresso pot to my day's list of things to do. I'd be damned if I wake up to no coffee come tomorrow morning. I hope this is not an indication of how my day will go today!

No comments: